Back in 2012 when I was called to give my first talk about social media / social networking, I knew I wanted to talk about the topic from my unique point of view as a Community Manager. With it being my first public speaking engagement about social media, I wanted to make sure I create a meaningful connection with my listeners, engage them and maintain the connection I create. I was supposed to lecture a group of young entrepreneurs as part of an entire course on entrepreneurship. I knew I was going to meet some of the brightest young minds, people of vision, innovation and ideas. They were all expecting to learn about Social Media as a marketing tool for their brand new Start-up. I needed a way to make them realize that:
1. Everything around them is essentially “social media”.
2. Social media in general and social networks in particular are about connection, communication and people, rather than promotion and marketing content.
3. Social Networking (online) isn’t always something that comes naturally to people – but it should!
4. Social networks are a double edged sword and must therefore be wielded by trained and capable people.
5. Social networking is vast, complex, ever changing and evolving, which means that what we know today may no longer be valid tomorrow.